Doing my best to be true to myself.

27 July 2008

Mérida Cuarta Semana - Part One

My final week of school! While I’ve improved much, I wish it were more and I considered just staying. Unfortunately, that won’t work out but I will figure out how to return soon. Pati and I are turning up the heat on my conversation – listening to songs on the radio, explaining what’s happening in my novel, etc. School this week has been very mellow. We even did some large group "classes" where we played some rigorous rounds of Caras y Gestos.

Maureen shakin' itPaul and I trying to figure out exactly how to act this one out

Monday my non-stop pace caught up to me a bit and I ended up going home right after school to nap, read, eat, and go to bed. How boring. But I think I needed it to be full-throttle for the last stretch of my visit. That and coffee: KFREEZE! Everyone is trying to make the most out of their last few days in Mexico. On the last day of school, Maia, Lauren and I had a conversation about what we would miss. And what we would not miss.

We decided we would not miss riding the bus or our shady corner where we waited for the bus.

Maia & Lauren ride the bus bus stop

Neither would we be disappointed to get back to the cool, coastal air of California after bearing the heat for 4 weeks.

PlazaWe were loathe to part with the welcoming culture and active nightlife.

Maia, me, Lauren, Cristi & Alicia

We would definitely miss our guides and the other locals we formed relationships with over the last month.

Spanish keyboard

I particularly enjoyed the slightly-modified Spanish keyboard and am still trying to figure out how to get a legit one in the US.

KFreeze!

Maia and I would bemoan the loss of KFreeze - an iced, blended coffee drink that was absolutely delicious and we indulged in almost daily.

<3 I would also miss the random heart carved into the sidewalk that we passed each day on our walk to and from the bus.

No comments: