Doing my best to be true to myself.

13 July 2008

Mérida Segunda Semana - Part Three (4th of July)

Class on Friday was the usual. In the afternoon, one of my classmates, Jennifer, and I went with our guías to the Centro to look for an American-themed piñata and some sparklers for the party that night. We were unsuccessful in both pursuits. Apparently, September is the month for sparklers here (although one tienda said they had a shipment coming the next day: perfect. And American-themed piñatas are a figment of my imagination. Unless you count a SpongeBob Squarepants piñata. In which case, there is an ample amount of American-themed piñatas in Mérida.

Tony, Paula, Emmanuel & Evan

Jennifer and I had somehow become the designated party coordinators. Well, I guess the "somehow" applies more to Jennifer and not really at all to me since the party had been my idea. Regardless, after our failure in the Centro, we hit up Oxxo for some ice and a 40 to share while set up for the party. I am clearly biased, but I would say that we did it up right. A better 4th of July party in México was never had.

Setting up la parillaMeat's On

We had hamburgers, hot dogs, potato chips, watermelon, french fries, good music, card games, apple pie with vanilla ice cream, and the stars and stripes flying proudly the whole time. It was a great opportunity to introduce and share an American tradition with our new Mexican friends.

Lauren and Paula hash out card rules, Tony's suspicious, and Maia's figuring out her handYoey's Winning HandEva, Josue, Sol y FriesLauren digs in to the pie de manzana

We even played the Star Spangled Banner – during which, we stood up, took off our hats, put our hands over our hearts, and sang. A great Fourth of July, Mexican style.  Five of us shut the place down at 3 am and, to me, that spells success.

clearly, having fun ...      ... and even more funlegendaryJen & Paul

No comments: