Doing my best to be true to myself.

25 July 2008

Mérida Tercera Semana - Part Two

The next day during class, Pati and I had a lengthy discussion about the differences in romantic/sexual relationships between México and the U.S. It was very interesting to hear what the general cultural beliefs are. Mexicans look at Americans as very liberal and open-minded, but at the same time, I would say they are much more publicly demonstrative of their affection. Probably because the custom is for children to live with their parents until they are married. So, the street is really the only place they can make out. Most of the Mexicans I've talked to are stunned and somewhat awed by the fact that I haven't lived in a home with my parents since I was 17.

They also are very couple-centric (perfect for me!). What I mean to say is, being part of a relationship is highly regarded. As a general rule, there is little of the politically-correct in México – or at least what we consider politically-correct in the US. One of the first 5 questions you get asked when first introduced to someone is "Do you have a boyfriend?" (Another is "How old are you?" Not rude, but not considered courteous by most Americans.)

If you answer "no" to the significant other question and you are as good looking as a mailbox, you then get asked "why not?" and immediately set up with eligible friends. I was told at least a dozen times that I needed to find a Latin lover or a Mexican boyfriend. And when I asked what I was to do with him at the end of my trip, I was informed I could either "love him and leave him" or get married and bring him home with me or stay in México with him. Good to know my options.

As funny as it is, the Mexican preoccupation with being in a relationship got pretty annoying after a while because they really seem to think that everyone should be involved and they cannot let it go. Although, it is encouraging to see family and coupledom have such a high societal value and for marriage to be a solid goal of the culture.

That night, we went to the movies, VIP of course, to see La Locura del Amor en Las Vegas and then went out for dinner. Nachos arrancheros (arranchero is a lean, delicious cut of beef – NO idea what its parallel is in English). I swear, I don't think I've eaten as much beef in my entire lifetime as I have during this trip. Beef and ice cream. Oh my goodness, do they have delicious ice cream! I eat it almost every day. I think there are only two things keeping me from becoming 90 kg (200 pounds): the heat (a two-fold reason: curbs my appetite and also results in the daily loss of 10 pounds of water weight via sweat) and my lack of sleep (which I'm convinced keeps my metabolism in hyper-drive since my body never rests). Anyway, that night we were introduced to an ice cream place that I have since happily visited several times – my favorite flavors: pistachio and coconut. YUM.

Thursday afternoon we tried to play pool with our guides but couldn't properly coordinate the buses so instead we checked out some local outdoor art exhibits and went to a restaurant for snacks and drinks.

tire pyramid art of junk Maia with the sunken car

P7101173

A pretty tame day, all in all. Friday, too, was uneventful until the evening. Maia, Maureen, Joey and I went to a restaurant downtown close to one of the major monuments and had cocktails and chatted. Maia's guide for the week, Christian, met us and we strolled one of the main streets, Montejo, and went to another spot for pitchers.

181180633603_0_BG

No comments: