Doing my best to be true to myself.

26 January 2009

Grandma Great

Today marks the seventh anniversary of the day my great grandmother passed away.  Most people don't have a chance to meet their great-grandparents, let alone develop any kind of relationship with them.  But as a youngster, I'd spend several weeks during the summer in Lafayette, Indiana with the Lynches.

Opal Lee and I shared many happy memories.  She introduced me to the delightful world of General Hospital.  At Easter, we'd color goose eggs.  She taught me to sew and quilt.  And she gave the best hugs. Her doting and regal nature perfectly epitomized the role of matriarch.  She demonstrated what it is to be half of a loving, lasting marriage.

I know she's looking down on those of us still here - her 4 kids, 11 grandkids, and 11 great-grands.  Miss you, Grandma Great.

No comments: