Doing my best to be true to myself.

30 January 2009

Work Husband

I'm not sure when this concept originally evolved, but I've only recently been exposed to the Work Husband.  Many of us have that special friend at the office with whom we share a more intimate co-worker relationship.

On his way into work, he gets his morning coffee and picks you up a tea.  When you catch a piece of office gossip, you have to find him immediately to divulge and discuss.  When that certain traveling exec is in town and omits his ridiculously loud yawns, he throws stuff at you to get your attention, rolling his eyes and you both attempt to suppress giggles.  If you go out to grab lunch, you always offer to bring him something back. 

It's not romantic or sexual but the camaraderie is akin to that of a marriage with a little corporate flair.  You talk about your weekend plans, evaluate company policy changes, discuss movies, partake in witty banter, help each other solve tricky Excel questions, recommend restaurants and favorite bands, and provide general counsel, guidance, and companionship throughout the workday.

Ani is my work husband and I adore him.  Most days, I don't know how I'd make it through if he weren't there to listen to and entertain me.  We can get caught up in a conversation across the aisle of our corner quadrant for dozens of minutes no matter what kind of projects we're working on.  He knows when I'm having a bad day and I know when he needs a little extra humor to get through his workload. 

While we never made vows - in fact, we never even had a choice in being paired together - it feels wonderful to know there is someone in the workplace to rely upon, share with, and generally enjoy.  Thanks for the days, Ani.

No comments: